The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to the flu. Health officials say the COVID-19 symptoms can include fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat and new loss of taste or smell. This infection spreads easily because it is a new virus and no one has developed immunity to it yet. You can learn more about this using the following links:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Springfield-Greene County Health Department
- A map of COVID-19
The university encourages students, faculty, and staff to take appropriate caution and follow good hygienic practices. There are simple steps to take that can limit the spread of the virus, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms of COVID-19 include fever (over 100.3), cough, and shortness of breath. Although people with COVID-19 often report mild symptoms, people over 60 and those with pre-existing health issues – including heart and lung issues – are especially at risk and should take precautions to avoid exposure by avoiding groups and maintaining good hygienic practices.